Wednesday, September 27, 2006

LUPE FIASCO - Food & Liquor [Atlantic Records - 2006]

So, another Hip-Hop review right after the other one?

Yes. And I don’t know where to start with this one. Lupe Fiasco’s “Food & Liquor” is my favorite album right now. I bought it about 5 days ago, and I can’t stop listening to it.
I think it’s a really good record, it’s Lupe’s first and I’ll make sure to keep an eye on him in the future as well.

“Food & Liquor” reminds me a little bit of Kanye West, and the first time I heard Lupe was on the track “Touch The Sky” from Kanye’s latest record “Late Registration” (Roc-A-Fella 2005). This is the same kind of Hip-Hop, and it makes me feel good. And like The Roots this has none of your usual gangsta-rap lyrics.

Here’s the 2nd verse from “Kick, Push II”:

“You see his mom was a crackhead and his father couldn't be contacted / He lived with being different, was combated / Amongst the other things on his young, black head / And see, his girl was a white girl / But, just cause she was white, see her life wasn't light-world / She, too had the drama thick / Had a daddy and a momma, but her daddy used to momma hit / Daddy caught something, chasing fatties made her momma sick / Couldn't afford the medicine, pimped it to the pharmacist / As suicidal feelings would rise, switch over to transitions, helped her conquer it / Pays for her momma's pills with a sponsorship / A cell phone bill and a Honda kit / And that's why she skates with him / Someone to feel her pain and her place to be”

It’s hard to pick some favorites on this album, but if I had to pick 5 I think I’d go with: “Real”, “Just Might Be OK”, “Kick, Push”, “Sunshine” and “The Cool”.

Anyway, like I wrote at the top of this, this is a really good record, but I think I’ll probably be calling it a great album in a couple of days. One of the best of 2006, be sure to check it out.

For further info & listening: www.myspace.com/lupefiasco or http://www.lupefiasco.com/

No comments: