Monday, July 10, 2006

WOLFMOTHER - s/t [Interscope/Modular - 2006]

I didn’t really know what to expect when I put this album in my CD-player. A guy I know had been talking about it and then I found it at a local record-store with a 50% discount. So, my thinking was that it was well worth that money to check it out.

And I guess it was. I’m enjoying this album more than I thought I would. Wolfmother are from Australia and they’ve made a good (hard) rock (n’ roll) record that sounds like it was made about 30 years ago. I also found out when I read the booklet that the whole thing was produced and mixed by Dave Sardy (who used to play guitar and sing in one of my favorite bands - Barkmarket).

Had this album come out 5-6 years ago I would have loved it (since I was way into 70’s rock, Kyuss, Fu Manchu and stuff like that at that time). But like I wrote, I’m kind of enjoying it none the less. This has been written in like every review I’ve seen about this album, but it’s true: It sounds like Led Zeppelin meets Black Sabbath meets Deep Purple and so on… There are some good songs on here and some of my favorites are “Colossal”, “Witchcraft” and the slow songs “Mind’s Eye” and “Tales” (even though “Withcraft” has a flute in it, and I have a thing about flutes).

The lyrics are not my cup of tea at all. Alot of weird "stoner-stuff" like:

“Purple hazes in the sky, see the angels wicked eye”, “Can’t you see that there’s light in the dark, nothing’s quite what it seems in the city of dreams”, “All the people he sees in the night hold their dreams up to the light, the wilder beast is searching for sight”, “She must be mother nature’s child, cause she’s runnin’ to the call of the wild”, “Go see the sorcerer, look into the ball. You may find the answer written on the wall”

…and I just don’t get it. But I guess that’s alright, and that this is the kind of lyrics that’s supposed to be sung to this kind of music. Anyway, if you like the older 70’s bands that I mentioned earlier you’ll probably like this too.


To listen to some songs, or learn more about Wolfmother go to: http://www.wolfmother.com/ or www.myspace.com/wolfmother

1 comment:

David said...

I like this one alot, then I think first and foremost about the production that is so very 1975!

The sound is round and warm in a way that you hardly get to hear these days.