Friday, March 24, 2006

The Concretes - In Colour [Licking Fingers/ Emi - 2006]

In 2001 I saw this band playing at a local pub, what I thought was appealing about this band back then has now improved and gotten really good. They have developed their own little pop sound that they play in their own little world. They do it easy for themselves, keeping it small, pretty, soft and laid back. And everyone seems to go crazy and spit out one remarkable word after another about them.

I’m probably stupid because I still can’t seem to get it. As I see it they are just a little pop orchestra with some nice tunes and nagging lyrics that is very overrated. It’s perfect as background music while cleaning the apartment or just doing the dishes ´cause it is happy and very easy listening. The record doesn’t demand much of you as a listener; you don’t have to take part in what they are doing to get it. Usually it’s two or three chords and a melody with three tones accompanied by a regular drumbeat all decorated with semi-orchestral arrangements in the spirit of 60’s. It got the feeling of being stuck at the kindergarten. Clap your hands and smile, kind of feeling.

The production of “In Colour“ is really great though. It sounds amazing, like you’re standing in the room where they are playing and they are playing just for you. Comfortable and dynamic.
My problem is that I rather be in another room most of the time.


Watch the video for "Chosen One" from "In Colour".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can you not like this record. I mean, this is probably one of the best bands around these days! Other than this one I say thank you for informing about good music!
I'll check back now and then.
Bye!

David said...

Hello Emily!

Well... What can I say... I think I already pretty much explained why I don't go crazy about the Concretes, but I'm glad you like our blog!